How to make the perfect Old Fashioned14th June, 2018
Today is National Bourbon Day, and with Fathers Day just around the corner we thought it would be a great idea to show you how to make the perfect Old Fashioned for your Old Man.
Traditionally made with Bourbon or Rye, lightly sweetened with sugar and aromatic bitters this most classic of vintage cocktails is served over ice in a short tumbler and garnished with an orange zest twist.
What you will need:
- 1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar
- Angostura Bitters
- Orange bitters – we recommend Angostura Orange
- 2oz of a good Bourbon – we recommend Maker’s Mark or Woodford Reserve
- 1 Orange
- First, place 1 teaspoon of sugar in an Old Fashioned glass – a short tumbler.
- Next wet it down with 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters, and 2 dashes of Orange Bitters.
- Crush the sugar using a Muddler, or perhaps a rolling pin if you don’t have one at home.
- Rotate the glass so that the sugar and bitters give it a lining.
- Add ice. Around half a glass full.
- Pour in your Bourbon. 2oz makes for good measure.
- Stir for around 5-7 minutes until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Garnish. Take a peel of Orange and flame it over your glass, rubbing the oils all around the rim of the glass.