Create your own Festive Fizz!31st October, 2017
Nothing tastes better on a crisp winter’s night than a warming glass of mulled wine to give you that festive feeling.
And nothing says Christmas more than a good bottle of Champagne! So why not combine the two?
That’s exactly what we’ve done at The Nuthatch, with a unique recipe you can easily try at home. Our festive Bellini creates a mulled wine syrup which can we beautifully topped up with your favourite Champagne – ideal for your own festive gatherings.
We’ll start a list of ingredients that you’ll need.
Preparation time – 30 mins
- One bottle of good red wine. We recommend a Chianti from Italy.
- Peel of one lime
- Peel of one lemon
- Peel and juice of one orange
- Four star anise
- One cinnamon stick
- 300g sugar
Now we have all our ingredients together, we can start to make this delicious drink.
- Peel your lime, lemon and orange. Be careful and try and get as little of the pith as possible, the bitter white under skin. We don’t need the lime or lemon juice. With the orange, squeeze its juice into a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add the peels cut into small chunks, the star anise, cinnamon stick and sugar. The orange juice should cover the sugar. Heat over a medium heat until the sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add half of the wine and stir the ingredients, bring to boil and add the remaining wine.
- Once boiling reduce to a medium heat and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by 2/3 in volume.
- The liquid should now be nice and thick, and once strained and left to cool provides a great base for your festive bellini.
- Once cooled, place around 1.5 fl oz (around a 2-finger measure) into a champagne flute and slowly pour your favourite Champagne (We recommend Perrier-Jouet) along one side of the flute so that it sits beautifully on top of the mulled wine.
- Garnish with red currants and rosemary. Let your guests stir and enjoy.
The NuthatchView All Posts